Alternate Instructional Materials Service (AIMS)
AIMS can help students with print disabilities access textbooks and course materials in alternative formats (e.g. audio, electronic text, or other digital file formats) depending on a student’s approved accommodations.
There are two main ways to access alternate instructional materials:
AIMS Format Conversion Request
Before receiving materials through AIMS:
- Register with the Disability Services Center.
- Meet with a DSC Counselor to determine if AIMS Format Conversion is an appropriate accommodation.
- Meet with AIMS Staff to gain access to necessary software and training (if needed).
To make a request:
Every quarter or semester (for Law School students), please submit requests as soon as possible. Requests can even be made prior to purchasing/renting/borrowing the materials. The UCI Bookstore can help with identifying required course books.
Note: You will need a UCI email address in order to access the form. If you do not have a UCI email address, contact DSC at email@example.com or 949.824.7494.
- Activate the "Start AIMS Format Conversion Request" button below.
- Fill out and submit the request. The new AIMS Format Conversion Request Form accepts up to three titles per submission, but you can also submit the form as many times as needed.
- For books and course readers, we require proof of ownership or rental prior to releasing the converted materials. Photos or screenshots of receipts are accepted, but are not the only option. If you have them available, there will be an opportunity to upload those files through the form.
After submitting a request:
- If you need to update, cancel or make a change to a request, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- DSC strives to upload alternate instructional materials within 7 business days of the request. Students will be notified by email when their material is ready or if any further steps are required.
- If we are unable to locate a suitable digital format of a requested book (which is often the case for custom course readers), we will work with you to find a way to get a physical copy of the book to AIMS Staff, so that it can be cut and scanned. With the current COVID-19 situation, this process could look different for each request.
SensusAccess is a quick and easy tool that will allow you to convert files into a range of digital formats within moments (depending on file size).