The DSC Office is now closed until further notice.
However, DSC staff, services, and support will continue to be available remotely, 8:00am to 5:00pm, Monday-Friday.
Ring Road Rides will not be operating until further notice.
This page is dedicated to updates from the DSC related to Covid-19, so please check regularly.
Additional information for the whole campus community can be found at the UCI Coronavirus Information Hub. Students, staff, faculty, parents, and community partners may also call 949-824-9918 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to connect directly with the
UCI Coronavirus Response Center.
For instructors and students, please check back regularly as we continue to update the following information and resources. If you are an incoming Fall 2020 (First-Year, Transfer, or Graduate) student, go to Register with DSC for the latest information on registering for services.
April 24, 2020
Message from the Chancellor:
Some or all instruction for all or part of Academic Year 20-21 may be delivered remotely. Tuition and mandatory fees have been set regardless of the method of instruction and will not be refunded in the event instruction occurs remotely for any part of the Academic Year.
March 26, 2020
Attention: Students with DSC NOTES accommodation for Spring Quarter 2020
Due to the remote nature of Spring Quarter 2020, DSC Notes will look different. Instead of offering access to peer notetakers, we will be providing access to Otter, a live transcription notetaking support. If you are not already familiar with Otter, you may view a demo video and even sign up for a free trial version at their website if you’d like to check it out first.
Please reach out to your DSC Counselor with any questions or concerns.
March 19, 2020
If you require a safety escort after hours, Campus police can provide a walking CSO escort anytime between 6 PM and 1 AM. Rides are no longer being offered due to social distancing. After 1 AM escorts for safety are provided by a PD Officer, which they can provide 24/7. Information about CSO escort can be found on their website. There is also a CSO specific FAQ and anyone can call 949.814.SAFE (7233) to schedule/request an escort 24/7.
March 18, 2020
The DSC office will be closed starting March 19th, 2020 until further notice due to COVID-19. However, DSC staff, services, and support will be available remotely from 8:00am to 5:00pm Monday-Friday. Please contact us if you have any questions.
Please note that Ring Road Rides have been suspended and the fax number should not be used until further notice.
March 12, 2020
Message to Students
Dear UCI Students Registered with the DSC:
As you are aware, UCI is in the midst of profound changes as a result of the COVID-19 virus. At DSC, our number one priority is the health and well-being of those who experience disabilities, including students, faculty, and staff. At the same time, we understand how important your academic programs are. Thank you for your patience while we are diligently working to provide answers to your questions, especially regarding final exams. Here is our current guidance regarding finals week for Winter 2020:
- If your professor is now offering a final remotely/online, you do not need to report to the DSC to take that final. You have the same option of taking the exam online as your peers.
- If there is a disability-related need that would cause problems for you taking your exam remotely/online and you feel that you need to take it at the DSC, please reach out immediately to your DSC counselor and discuss your need and request.
- In order to take your final at DSC, you must notify your DSC counselor before 2:00 pm on Friday, March 13th, in order for the DSC to make a decision and coordinate with the appropriate faculty member. Some examples for testing at the DSC include:
- The use of assistive technology only available to you at the DSC,
- You require breaks or the use of other software and your professor is using a 3rd party test proctoring system such as Proctor U,
- A scribe is one of your accommodations.
- Be aware that we are using high impact practices regarding social distancing and frequent disinfecting of all spaces. If you are sensitive to cleaning products, please plan to test online.
- All students who test online are responsible for their own laptops or tablets. If you do not own a device, UCI Libraries will be open. Any student using Kurzweil or other software should already have access to those platforms on your own devices. If not, please contact the DSC immediately.
We are currently working with faculty to give them information on how to do things like extend time in Canvas for students with extended time accommodations. We highly recommend that you remind your professor of your need for accommodations. If you encounter technical difficulties during an online exam, OIT has a 24-hour hotline to assist you in resolving the problem. The information and link will be posted on the DSC website before finals begin on Monday.
The DSC Testing Center will operate on modified hours during finals week. For those approved to test at DSC, Monday through Friday exams will be proctored between 8:00 am and 5:30 pm. All exams must be finished by 5:30 pm. This means that some exams may not be taken during the time indicated by your professor.
With sincere wishes for your health and success,
Karen Andrews, DSC Director, and the DSC Team
Message to Faculty
Dear UCI Faculty Members,
Thank you for collaborating with the Disability Services Center (DSC) during these unusual times as we all work together to address the issues due to COVID-19. Our goal is to continue to provide access to ensure that all UCI students registered with the DSC get the accommodations needed for final exams for Winter 2020. DSC will be open for exam proctoring on a smaller scale. In answer to many of your questions, we would like to provide the following guidance:
- If you are offering a final exam remotely/online for all students, then students registered with the DSC would have the same option to take the exam remotely. Students should not automatically be directed to report to the DSC for testing, just because they are registered here. DSC has advised students who still need to test with us that they must notify DSC prior to 2:00 pm on Friday, March 13th.
- Here are some examples for testing at the DSC: use of assistive technology, required breaks that cannot be accommodated by proctoring systems such as Proctor U, a scribe is needed as an accommodation, other disabilities that require maximum flexibility to alleviate disability-related symptoms and anxieties, mobility challenges requiring assistive technology, etc.
- Students have been encouraged to confirm their accommodations directly with you as well if they are testing remotely.
- Please be aware of your students’ individual accommodations as indicated on the Accommodations Notification Letter that was provided to you earlier in the quarter. Typically those who only need testing in a separate location and/or extended time will be testing remotely.
- If a student chooses to leave campus and is planning to test remotely, you will need to set up the system you are using to account for any needed extended time. For example, if you are using Canvas, here are directions for how to extend time for students’ exams.
- If you were previously informed that any students in your class require converted exams and/or materials, we will still need those exams to be sent at least 2 business days in advance to email@example.com so that the appropriate conversions can be made. Exams may be delayed if DSC does not have sufficient time to make necessary conversions.
There may be some students who, for disability-related reasons, must take their exams here at the DSC. We will be evaluating those on a case-by-case basis, and those students will be reaching out to us individually. If a student is approved to take an exam here at the DSC next week, you can expect an email from firstname.lastname@example.org to coordinate. This email will go out by Friday afternoon.
Our testing center will operate on modified hours next week, Monday – Friday 8:00am – 6:00pm. Any exams taken here must be completed by 5:30pm, including extended testing time. DSC will not be open until 10:00 pm as is the usual time during finals.
We will be sending guidance in the future for creating accessible content for your Spring Quarter classes. In the meantime, you can utilize the following resources as a guide for creating accessible content:
- a plugin for Chrome called Siteimprove Accessibility Checker to see if content you create and load into Canvas, for example, is accessible.
- Creating accessible PowerPoint presentations.
- Please be mindful that any and all audio/visual content must also be captioned.
- More information can be found on the UCI IT Accessibility website.
Please know that we are here to help you as we enter this new phase of instruction and testing. The DSC team can provide you with valuable resources and answer questions as we go along. Do not hesitate to contact us directly. Thank you for all that you are doing to make this transition as smooth as possible.
Karen Andrews, DSC Director and the DSC Team